Things to do while at home
It is imported to keep your mind active right now but to also do things that you enjoy even if you can’t do them in the conventional way. With modern technology you can now explore museums, watch films with friends online, learn how to cook and much more from the comfort of your living room! Here’s a list of things we think will keep the most active of us entertained – we will keep updating this page with new and exciting ideas as they are released, enjoy!
- Set up a cinema – Make an occasion of a Friday or Saturday night by transforming your living room into a cinema. Make your favourite snacks, turn off all the lights, and lose yourself in a film.
- Draw something – You don’t have to be good at drawing just put pen to paper and see what you come up with!
- Why not get into reading – Spend some time to focus on a good book
- Make a post-lockdown list – Make a list of all the things you’re going to do when life gets back to normal – whether that’s buying a takeaway coffee, having a BBQ with all your friends, or going to the cinema
Connect with others
- Quarantine Chat – Free, worldwide App connecting isolated people – chat on the phone with others who are isolated at home
- Netflix Party – Watch films with friends from a different household includes group chat while watching the movie.
- Big Screen – VR [Virtual Reality] Entertainment – Virtual theatre to watch movies alongside other movie fans (represented by avatars) watching the same film in real time
- Volunteer for Mind in Bexley
- Phone a friend – Phone an elderly neighbour who might be feeling lonely, a relative who you haven’t spoken to in a while, or even just a friend who you ordinarily would only see in the pub.
Look after you
- Exercising at home – Various physical activities you can do from home
- Begin Meditation – Practice Mindfulness and meditation to take a moment for yourself and manage your anxiety.
- Every Mind Matters – Tips on how to work well from home
- Try a yoga class – Register for one of our Yoga workshops
- Clean out your wardrobe – Try on all your clothes, and bag up any that you don’t want, or that don’t fit.
Games and Puzzles
- Jigsaw Explorer/The Jigsaw Puzzles – Online jigsaw puzzles
- Games – Various free online games
- Saga – Online puzzles
- Reader’s Digest – Printable crossword puzzles
- Puzzel – Create your own crossword, sudoku or word search
- Web Sudoku – Online sudoku puzzles
- Sudoku Printables – Sudoku puzzles to print
- Nature Relaxation – Fly over Italy’s Cinque Terre Coast by Drone
- Buckingham Palace – Virtual tour of Buckingham Palace
- Venice – Explore Venice through multiple webcams
- Sweden – ‘Lights over Lapland’ virtual tour
- University of Reading – A virtual tour of the Ancient city Rome
- Museums from around the world – 12 museums offering virtual tours
- Art Galleries – Explore London’s top Art galleries
- Exploration of the day – Explore a new aspect of Art each day
- Kent Wildlife Trust – Simple things you can do in your garden to help wildlife
- Nature – Various videos exploring nature
- Virtual nature walks – Various virtual walks on YouTube
- Aurora Borealis – – Live webcam of the Northern Lights – 3am-9am best time to see them
- National Park service – Explore the Yellowstone national park
Geography and History
- National Geographic
- Geography map quiz games / Map quiz website
- Wild science podcast
- Geography quiz questions / World geography online quizzes
- British History online library
- National History Museum virtual tour
- War History online
- Edinburgh Zoo Live webcams
- Puppy playroom
- Kitten rescues / Kitten sanctuary
- African Sanctuary / Tau Waterhole / African Elephant park
- Gorilla webcam
- Sharks in the Atlantic / The Cayman reef
- Underwater nature talks
- Wild Dolphins / Orca’s
- Sea Lion’s / Sea Otters
Whilst we are working remotely we may realise we have some free time – we have compiled some e-learning resources for you to use whilst at home, this could be a great opportunity for us all to learn something new.
- Mental health online courses – Free wellbeing courses run by Mind in Bexley
- Class central – 600 free online courses from a variety of universities.
- Open Learn – Free online courses in various subject matter
- Duolingo – Learn a language for free. Forever.
- Ted Talks – Inspirational lectures on a wide range of topics
- Vision2Learn – 13 accredited courses – get qualified for free
- Free courses in England – Free accredited courses
- Future Learn – 407 courses are free for up to 5 weeks. To get unlimited access and the certificate it will cost £32 per course.
- Introduction to Engineering
- Macrame School – Macrame for beginners
- Learn 10 useful things to say in French, Portuguese, German, Italian and Spanish
- Blockly games – Computer programming for beginners
The websites or resources above are not associated withEast Kent Mind.
This page will be regularly updated please do check back for further updates.